Friday, February 6, 2015

Using Up Leftover Green Juice Pulp

My husband and I recently bought a juicer and the three of us have really been enjoying green juice. Especially Isla, she keeps begging for more until it's gone. I love having the juice instead of a smoothie because I don't feel like I'm choking it down. The downside is missing out on the fiber and having a bunch of leftover pulp. After doing a search on how to use it up, I saw several websites that suggested cooking with it. You can stir it into mac and cheese, make crackers out of it, and even incorporate it into breads and baked goods. I wanted to make a pasta dish because I had a chicken breast that needed to be cooked and a bag of mini shell pasta. This recipe is pretty simple depending on how many ingredients you have on hand, plus it can be made so many different ways. I loved the flavor from the sun-dried tomatoes and toasted pine nuts combined with salty parmesan cheese.

*Warning* This isn't a low calorie meal, but it's extremely filling. Isla had some, I had a bowl of it then went back for seconds and there was still enough left for lunch the next day. So I'd call this 3-4 servings, but definitely serve it up with a big side of steamed vegetables.

Friday, January 23, 2015

Easy Baked Penne

I have been trying to post this recipe for weeks. Every time I make this dish, it disappears before I can get a decent picture. It's great to make for company, and serves quite a few. It will leave us with a little leftovers that we gobble up quickly. I managed to snap this picture with my phone recently, so it's not very pretty but at least gives you an idea of what it will look like!

I've made this recipe four times in the past month. This can be made so many different ways but I'll just share a simple version with you. I like to add a bit of veggies to mine. I also use garlic powder, but if I'm using a garlic marinara or alfredo I leave out the garlic powder. I've used different kinds of penne and they all work great. We really enjoyed the kind that has hidden vegetables. Tasted great and the texture was normal. I really recommend making this when you have company. It will serve a lot and all you have to do is steam some veggies and heat up garlic bread to go along with and you have a very hearty meal. Enjoy!

Friday, January 9, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Two Ways

I've made this soup a few times now and a couple of different ways. I definitely preferred the presentation of the soup when it was made on the stove top with frozen vegetables and cubed chicken over the crock pot with canned veggies and shredded chicken. Both taste the same, but the veggies have more crunch when you use frozen. Canned are definitely cheaper so use them if you're on a tighter budget. It's definitely easier to make this in the crock pot. I tossed in the chicken breasts, and dumped everything else on top. Then 30 minutes before serving I shredded the chicken in the crock pot and let it hang out on low heat. You'll see in the pictures below the stove top version is just prettier, but man I love my crock pot. Either way the recipe is super easy. Give it a try if you're in the mood for chicken pot pie without the fuss! I should also say my 11 month old daughter loves this soup, it's kid friendly and has lots of veggies for your little ones.

Monday, November 10, 2014

I Bought a House!

Life lately has been crazy. I can't tell you how many tears I've shed out of stress. Anyone out there who has bought a house and especially with small kids will understand. It's been an emotionally draining week, but things are looking up. My husband and I bought close to where we currently live, and we are very close to family still! The house is a lovely California ranch style home. Three bedrooms, two baths. It's quite large, for us, 1750 square feet and it has a great yard. I'm most thrilled with the kitchen and laundry room. The project we tackled this weekend was painting. It was an extremely lengthy process but I'm very happy with the color. We went with Behr ultra premium plus paint in the color Doeskin Gray, in an eggshell finish. The previous colors were a dark tan with brown accent walls. The paint was in good shape but it just wasn't our style.



Monday, October 27, 2014

Mommy Mondays: Isla's 9 Month Update

Oh my has the time flown by! I thought I would do a quick update about my little sugar plum Isla Grace. She will be 9 months old on the 30th; I cannot believe it. Isla can crawl, pull herself up, and cruise the couch. She says "dada" and "baba," and loves to scream and blow raspberries. Bath time is so much fun, she loves to scoot down in her bath seat and slam her legs into the water. It's messy, and super cute! Isla loves food. Oh boy, my kid can eat. She is still breastfed but also eats three meals a day. Breakfast is usually yogurt and a pouch, I buy a lot of Earth's Best organic baby food. Lunch is usually two pouches, then dinner is a veggie in a big bowl of organic oatmeal along with mixed veggies for finger food. For snacks she likes yogurt melts and the Gerber or Happy Baby puffs. She also loves to drink water, she drinks about five ounces of water from her sippy every day.