With a husband from the South, and a love for spicy food I knew this was the dish for us! Very quick prep time, I use my Vitamix to chop vegetables (such as onions, no tears in this kitchen!) and it really speeds everything up. I like it better than the food processor, because it doesn't make everything too shredded, but nicely diced. So easy too; for onion, you quarter the onion, put it in the blender, and fill with water until the onion floats off of the blade, then pulse once! Voila! Perfectly chopped onions, and no teary eyes =) The cook time is also only 30 minutes, which I love! My favorite meals are the kind where I can prep, start cooking, and while the meal is finishing up clean the whole kitchen. It makes me feel worlds more organized, and when it's time to eat and clean up I only have the plates and silverware we used as opposed to a sink full of dishes!
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu (frozen at least 24 hours, and fully defrosted)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color will do, I used red)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (I used a garlic press for mine though)
- 1 cup white rice (make sure it's white, not brown or any other kind!)
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes (I only had petite diced, so that's what I used)
- 1/2 cup tomato juice or water (I used veggie broth)
- 2 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke seasoning (I don't have this, so I used smoked paprika)
- red cayenne pepper and black pepper to taste
- In a large non stick pot, over medium high heat, saute onion, bell pepper, and celery until soft.
- Add in rice and garlic, saute until lightly browned.
- Add in everything else, cover with lid, and turn heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and excess liquid is absorbed.
That's it! Now don't tell me you cant do those steps, too easy not to! The only change I would make, would be to throw the tofu in with the veggies to be "seared." I like my tofu browned and a little crunchy.