Shredded "BBQ Chicken Salad"
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. double concentrated tomato paste (26 calories)
- 6 Tbsp. chopped onion (24 calories)
- 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil (70 calories)
- 1 tsp. paprika, or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Truvia or other sweetener
- 1/2 tsp. dehydrated or fresh garlic (2 calories)
- Small sprinkle of: black pepper, Mrs. Dash Extra spicy or red chili flakes, cinnamon, and mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. sugar free liquid smoke (optional, I didn't have any)
In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat add the coconut oil and onion, saute until onion is tender. Add the tomato paste and stir for a minute or so to cook the tomato. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Puree in blender until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste, enjoy over chicken or beef! ^_^
This recipe isn't an authentic flavored BBQ sauce by any means, but the addition of liquid smoke and smoked paprika give it a flavor that's much more special than a plain old tomato puree sauce. If you aren't on a crazy diet like me feel free to add molasses or Splenda Brown Sugar, that would be yummy! This makes about 120 grams of sauce, if you divide it into 4 portions (about 1.5 Tbsp per serving) then it's 30 calories per serving. The bulk of the calories come from the coconut oil, if you wanted you could skip the oil and saute the onion and tomato in water. It's up to you! This is a great recipe for those who try to keep their sugars low because it isn't loaded with added sugars like store bought sauces. The only sugar comes from the tomato paste, about 4 grams for the entire batch of sauce.