Monday, January 20, 2014

Mommy Mondays Week 37

Wow what a week! It surely started off with a bang. Last Sunday I was having Braxton Hicks contractions about 10 minutes apart for a few hours before bed. I didn't think much of it since I was dehydrated from throwing up earlier in the day. Monday morning was my last day of work, and in the car the contractions were about six minutes apart and my back was starting to ache. I called the doctor and they said to go to labor and delivery just to be sure. My husband came and picked me up, since the contractions were a little uncomfortable at that point and pretty close together. We got to triage and I instantly felt like a crazy first time mom. I just kept telling my husband I'm probably not even having contractions and I'm just being paranoid. The nurse hooked me up to the fetal monitor, and the baby was doing just fine. Turns out I was actually having contractions about three minutes apart at that point, although they weren't too uncomfortable. She checked my cervix and to my surprise I was already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced. 

I was shocked, I really thought I was being crazy. They told me I'll probably just have the baby early but since I wasn't in pain I could go home. I had an appointment with my OB on Tuesday morning, and he said I was 80% effaced and 3 cm dilated. At this point the contractions were uncomfortable. I could feel menstrual-like cramps and back pain with each contraction, but I still felt fine. We went to L&D again at the request of my OB just to make sure I wasn't progressing too quickly. After an hour on the monitor contractions were about seven minutes apart but I was still at 3 cm, so they said I could go ahead and labor at home. Then Tuesday night it basically stopped. The contractions slowed to maybe one an hour and I felt fine. Since then I've been having contractions here and there, but nothing worth timing. It's tough because Monday we thought we'd have the baby within a few days. We packed our hospital bags, put the car seat in the car, and were ready to go! Now a week later we're still waiting on baby girl to make her grand entrance. I know she'll come "when she's ready" as everyone keeps telling me, because what else do you say? It's frustrating, I'm ready to hold my baby. I hope she comes soon! For now, hubby and I are going about business as usual! Trying to stay busy.

How many weeks: 37

What fruit/veggie is baby: swiss chard, 19.25 inches and 6.3 lbs.

Movement: it's decreased by now, but still normal. She's running out of room so instead of big kicks and punches it's her pushing on my insides.

New symptoms: contractions, unfortunately they're not regular and have no pattern. I was trying to time them, but instead it just stressed me out. I'd get excited when I would get a few in a row 10 minutes apart, then they fizzle. No labor yet.

Cravings: donuts and Wendy's

Sleep: waking up a lot, it's difficult to turn over and get up and out of bed too

Stretch marks: none

Rings on/off: on

Best memory of the week: seeing the baby on an ultrasound at labor and delivery

Looking forward to: labor! Still waiting! I try not to think about it, but it's really hard not to. I was so looking forward to becoming a mom in the past week, and I'm still just pregnant and uncomfortable.

No comments: