I could eat this multiple times per week, it's that good! I finally bought a spiralizer after years of wanting one. I used to have a mandolin which seems to have disappeared, so I haven't been making any vegetable noodles. I got the spiralizer in the mail, and made this dish that same day for dinner. It was fantastic and very filling. Hope you enjoy!
Zucchini Pasta with Roasted Eggplant and Mozzarella
- 5 small Zucchini, spiralized or cut into noodles
- 1 Eggplant, peeled halfway or fully and chopped into big chunks
- 28 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp + 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup White Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fire roasted Peppers & Onions (frozen, or just use 1 whole small onion)
- 2 tsp minced Garlic
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, cubed (the vacuum packed type, not water packed)
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil cut into ribbons, or 2 Tbsp of the freeze dried kind
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. On a baking sheet add the chopped eggplant, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss together to coat the eggplant, and bake at 400F for 20 minutes. While the eggplant is baking make your sauce. In a large saute pan or skillet with high sides add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5-7 minutes, then add the garlic and cook and additional minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on medium-low while the eggplant roasts. When the eggplant is finished add to the sauce, and simmer and additional 10 minutes.
The zucchini pasta is super easy. I used the spiralizer and made the zucchini into noodles while the eggplant roasted. To cook I actually microwaved mine for 9 minutes, although it can also be boiled or sauteed. I just wanted to cut down on clean up. Once the sauce has finished simmering add in the zucchini noodles (be sure to drain the excess water), the parmesan cheese, and the basil. Stir well to combine, finally add the cubed mozzarella. It will begin to melt into the hot sauce. Give it a good stir and serve immediately.
I really enjoyed this with extra basil on top as well as hot pepper flakes, but I couldn't add those to the whole recipe because it's too spicy for my toddler. Who absolutely loved this meal by the way! Per serving: 323 calories, 19 grams of fat, 16 grams of protein, and 16 grams of net carbs!